Monday, July 9, 2018

Unpopular Opinion Book Tag

 I wasn’t tagged by anyone, but I love this book tag so much I needed to do it myself. You can watch the original video here.
*Disclaimer* Just because I hold this opinion doesn’t mean I hate/don't understand other people with the opposite opinion. We've all have our own opinions. It would be weird if everyone thought the same thing. 


1. A Popular Book or series that you didn't like. 
      Percy Jackson and the Olympians was the series that got me through the beginning of high school. However, the sequel, Heroes of Olympus, does not have any love from me. I started the third book in this series and I decided I just couldn’t do it anymore. I trudge my way through the first two books because my friends love them, which I can respect. However, I didn’t like how these books are written in third person, but every character gets three chapter from his/her own point of view and then it has to change to someone else’s. I thought the change of third person should occur when the story requires it not when the other person had used up all his/her point of view chapters. 

2. A Popular Book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love. 
      Not a book, but I can’t think of anything else because I haven’t really read a popular book I love that everyone else hates because if everyone hated it then it wouldn’t be popular, but I really like Solo a Star Wars Story
3. A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn ppl for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don't like.
     I hate love triangles period, but I don’t think this is an unpopular opinion. Books with love triangles are the only books I actively avoid. Maybe I'll start getting into stories with love triangles a few years down the line when I'm not so fed up anymore, but for now I am plain board with them. 
4. A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for. 
      I don’t particularly read contemporary fiction, especially contemporary romance novels like Fangirl, and Anna and the French Kiss. It’s not because I think they’re bad and no one should read them. I have never had an affinity towards this genre.  
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like. 
    I don’t like Celaena Sardothian. I’m just not the biggest fan of anti-heroes in general. 
6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into. 
     Although several of my friends and relatives love him, I have yet to find a Dan Brown book that intrigued me. I guess I could say I don’t really gravitate to the type of stories he writes. I’m also not the biggest fan of his writing style which sounds like he is trying to sound smarter than he actually is. 
7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. (examples "lost princess", corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.) 
      I don’t know what its name is, but I never liked it when there is a heroine who insists she isn’t like other girls, but she’s not just stating a fact. She has this attitude that somehow by being different she is superior to the other females around her. Often times she’ll have few if any girlfriends and all the other females are presented as being brainless ditz. There isn’t enough space to say why I hate this trope in one paragraph, but in brief, the main two reasons I hate it is because A. it implies the majority of women are stupid, weak, etc. B it’s encouraging girls to push each other down to lift oneself up rather than supporting and celebrating each other. 
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading. 
      I wasn’t allowed to read Harry Potter growing up, and over the years I’ve been spoiled for almost every major plot point in the series so I really don’t have a desire to read it. 
9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book? 
     The Princess Bride. I still liked the book and I admit to watching the movie before I read the book. In my defense, I was eight years old when I first saw The Princess Bride and didn’t realize there was a book until my sister found it at our library a few years later. As much as I enjoyed the fairytale feel with the author’s abridgment notes (you have to read it to understand) it didn’t seem to have the same charm as the movie. There’s something about the film having the grandfather tell the story to his grandson that I enjoyed more than how the book was narrated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post