Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Top 5 Urban Fantasy Novels



*Note* Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads group where blogger/vloggers post about a bookish topic every Wednesday. You can check it out right here. https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/118368-top-5-wednesday
 

   

     Here is the list of my Top 5 Favorite Urban Fantasy Novels, or a list of the only Urban Fantasy Novels I like as I am not a huge fan of the genre because of the dark tone many of the books hold (more on that later) so this isn’t a list of my favorites because I didn’t love all of them. However, I did enjoy every book on this list while I was reading it.

5. Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr    

Up North where I live the word “wicked” is often used as a way of adding emphasis to something like the word “very.” “I had a wicked bad day today.” “The roads are wicked greasy out.” Or the most common one,“I am wicked cold right now.” When I first saw the title, I thought “Wicked Lovely” meant “Very Lovely,” which isn’t the case. If it weren’t for my little blunder with the title  don’t think I would have remembered much about this book. As far as the story and writing goes it’s okay. I enjoyed Wicked Lovely as I read it, but I don’t think I am likely to read it again. However, if you are an avid fan of Urban fantasy, especially one's about Fae and fairies, I would recommend it.







4. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
    
      I actually read this one the same time as Wicked Lovely, but unlike the latter, I not only finished the series, but I think The Iron King deserves a reread. What is this book about? The plot is a little more complicated than this, but to put it simply, a little boy is kidnapped by the Fae and is replaced by a changeling. If she ever wants to see her beloved brother again, the protagonist, Meghan, has to journey through the world of the Fae to save him putting her own life at risk. I love Meghan and how she did everything  for her brother. Being a big sister myself, Meghan's quest hit me hard and I couldn’t help imagining what it would be like. My brother was around the same age as Meghan's when I first read this book so it struck me at just the right time.




3. Shinobi Life by Shoko Konami

      If you are looking for something philosophical then this fish-out-of-water-manga might not be the best fit for you, but if you enjoy a good romantic comedy, come on in. Unlike the other four books on this list, Shinobi Life doesn’t star a normal human being sent to a fantasy world or interacting with supernatural beings from a different world. Instead, the protagonist is Kagetora, a shinobi no mono (ninja) who accidentally arrives in the future and mistakes a rich girl for his former client. Kagetora is a very confused individual and I don’t blame him at all. I would not know how to handle myself if I was sent hundreds of years into the feature. Although Kagetora does end up adjusting somewhat, he still has much to learn about the 21st century.




2. Unblemished by Sara Ella   
   
     One of the reasons I don’t particularly gravitate towards urban fantasy, is the dark and gritty tone many books in this genre have. As I was reading Wicked Lovely I felt the book had a dark tone both with the plot and the feeling of hopelessness the main character had. The Iron King where Ash was very aware of her and her brother’s mortality during her quest had this feel as well. I normally don’t find this appealing. However, Unblemished lacks this tone but still has moments of peril. The story opens with our teenaged protagonist, Elianna, at her mother’s calling hours! However, Sara Ella manages to show us the danger, but still, give her novel a bright and hopeful feel. Although it may not be the best-written book, Unblemished is unlike any fantasy novel I have ever read with the reflections, the void, and all the other quirks its world holds; this isn’t just weird, it’s otherworldly.




1. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan 
   
    At first, I saw this week’s prompt and thought about listing all 5 of the original Percy Jackson books and call it a day, but this is a list for top 5 urban fantasy novels not all Percy Jackson Books ranked. Alas, I had to pick my favorite of the 5 and put it at number one. And, it is none other than my old friend, The Battle of the Labyrinth. What I love about this installment is how good the pacing is. This book has the perfect balance between action and thoughtful moments. I loved watching as Percy and Annabeth take on the trials in the labyrinth and how the plot-twists weren’t given away from page one, but still had enough build up and didn’t appear to come falling down from the sun. (If you got that reference you deserve a blue cake).

4 comments:

  1. Haha, for my post I listed 5 full series instead of just books. I can't just choose a book out of a whole favourite series :D I love the Percy Jackson books and I've also heard about the Wickedly Lovely series :D

    One of my favourites are also Magic Bites and Poison Study :D

    My Top 5 UF Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Yuli :)
      Deciding what was my favorite Percy Jackson book was a bit like choosing a favorite child.
      I don't think I have ever heard of Magic Bites or Poison Study, but both titles sound interesting. I suppose I could look into those in the feature. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the Iron Fey series, my favorite is definitely the first book and I'm due for a reread :D I also love PJO, my favorite is The Last Olympian... that book is very action packed! Wicked Lovely covers are the best but I haven't been able to get to it for years...

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tasya
      The last Olympian is my second favorite and it was very hard for me to choose between the two. I eventually decided on The Battle of the Labyrinth, but all the Percy Jackson books have a special place in my heart. :)

      Delete

Popular Post