Saturday, August 31, 2019

What I Actually Read in August 2019


I’m honestly surprised about how much reading I got done this month. It was probably due to me realizing how little reading I did in June and July and that the school year is around the corner. I panicked read most of these books as the reality that I would never get to read them if I waited until classes started up again. 


Storm Siren (Reread)
    I finally got a hold of the third book in this trilogy and realized it has been two years since I read the other two books. I started the third book, Siren’s Song, and noticed there was much I had forgotten. Wanting to appreciate every word of the final to one of my favorite series so far, I decided to read through the other two books again. That is when I dusted of Storm Siren

The Poppy War (DNF)
     I borrowed this book from the library and got over a hundred pages into it. Although I was curious about what would happen next, and I was enjoying the world building, the protagonist bothered me to the point I couldn’t continue. Maybe, I’ll give it another chance in the future, but that is a little unlikely. 


Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
    This was an impulse buy from BAM! I’m glad I picked it up after all. This book was clearly inspired by fairytales and I found the themes of the story to be delightfully woven in with the text. I think my favorite part of the book were how the little stories told within the story related to Minli’s adventure. 
Scarlet (Reread)
    I suddenly started craving Robin Hood one evening. I recalled in high school I read one of my sister’s books that was a YA retelling of Robin Hood’s adventures through the perspective of Will Scarlet. Scarlet is good, worth picking up, and I have to admit there was a lot I had forgotten from the first time I read it so it was nice getting reacquainted with this old favorite of mine.  
Wild Rover No More
     I started reading the Jacky Faber books in high school and loved them. Part of me feels like I went on those adventures with Jacky from England to the Far East. I have to admit, was hesitant when I came to the final as I didn’t want those adventures to come to an end, but I also wanted to know how those adventures did end. It was worth it to finally finish the long-running series after all these years. 
Siren’s Fury (Reread)
    I am now more thankful than ever that I decided to read the other two books in the trilogy. Although I remember enough of the first book, Siren’s Fury had almost disappeared from my memory. I didn’t realize how much I had forgotten until I read it again. It has definitely left me more excited for Siren’s Song than ever. 
    So, I guess that is all that I managed to read this month. My favorite of all of them is certainly Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. I have a soft spot for fairytale inspired children’s book. I know I probably won’t be able to get that many books under my belt until after I graduate. Reviews for some of the books are soon to follow. 
       Have a great day, and good luck with all your classes if you are returning to school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post