Saturday, November 3, 2018

Fractured Fairytale Cliches

 
     As a folklore enthusiast and a kid who grew up with the Disney Princesses, I enjoy fairy tale retellings. I’m familiar with the original stories and reading the beloved tales with a fresh twist is a simple joy. However, the key word here is “fresh”. Lately, I’ve noticed some fairytale retellings are rehashing the same creative “twist” over and over. Not all the tropes I discuss here are “bad”. All but one I do enjoy reading. However, everything in moderation. I can have too much coffee even though I love it. The same I can go for a trope. 

The Retelling is Based on the Disney Version 
     As I mentioned in the introduction, I grew up with Disney. I don’t have any ill feelings towards the movies of my childhood. I’ve noticed many people have only been exposed to fairytales through the animated-musical versions. Consequently, when a creator goes about playing with common fairytale themes, he/she ends up parodying the Disney version rather than the folklore. In short, the writers are adapting an adaptation. 
The Princess “saves herself”
     There is actually nothing wrong with this trope in of itself. I don’t see anything wrong with more active female characters. My gripe is that every time an author uses this trope he/she is hailed for being so original and creative. However, almost every single fairytale retelling published in the past fifteen years, has a feisty and royal heroine. Again, I don’t mind this, but it’s not revolutionary anymore. That said, I think it is a good thing this isn’t “fresh” anymore. Why? Because it means independent princesses are now the “norm” for fiction. 
Modern Versions
Bonus points if it takes place in high school. EnchantedEver-after highDecedents, A Cinderella StoryOnce Upon a Time, Tell me a Story. I don’t know how to feel about these. On one hand, I think it is kind of cool to see how a fairytale would look in our society. On the other hand, one of the most intriguing features of a fairytale is the sense timelessness the stories own. Setting a fairytale in the modern world soils the wonder and magic the original tale holds. 
Prince Charming is a Jerk
      When I’m told someone is supposed to be charming I don’t picture that individual as a jerk. However, from my view the majority of modern fairytale retellings portray prince charming is a complete idiot and at worse the big evil of the story. I get the idea of trying to switch what is good and evil, but don’t call the character “charming”. I don’t see anything charming about taking over the world and enslaving millions. In The Sister’s Grimm Prince Charming is rather rude, in Just Ella the prince isn’t great, in Shrek Prince Charming is also a jerk. I’m not saying there can’t be nasty or outright evil princes, but don’t call the character “Charming”. 
The Big Bad Wolf is a Werewolf
     And, often has the hots for Red Riding Hood. The first time I saw this trope was in The Sisters Grimm with Mr. Canis. I didn’t see anything wrong with Mr. Canis. He’s one of my favorite characters. However, in Scarlett Moon the big bad wolf is a werewolf and also has weird uncomfortable affection for Red Riding Hood. Scarlet by Marisa Meyer has a romantic pairing between red and the wolf characters as does Ever After High. The only situation where this doesn't make me uncomfortable is in Scarlet. I don't understand why someone would want to do this. In the fairytale the wolf eats the grandmother and the little-girl. Why give the wolf a (ripped) human form and make it the romantic partner of the little-girl who is now suddenly aged into an adult? I may be a grump, but this tope grosses me out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post