Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Top 5 Books to Read Before the End of the Year

     Many people told me I would have considerably less time to read once I started college. Much to my dismay, they were right. The amount of time I was able to read for enjoyment dropped much too low for my liking. Because of this, I found myself in need of prioritizing the books I want to read right away and the ones that can wait in line on my shelf a little longer.

     King’s Cage
      When I first saw the cover for War Storm, the final book in the Red Queen series, I was pumped to read it. My sister got me a copy for my birthday only adding to my excitement. There is one problem, however. To get to War Storm I need to finish King’s Cage first. I have no excuse for not yet finishing King’s Cage because I also own it, another present from my sister. The truth is I was too afraid to read it as I realized the book has the perspectives of other characters when the previous books only had one narrator. I began to fear character death, but I think my desire to finish the series has now overridden my horror of something bad happening to my babies. 
Siren’s Song
     Storm Siren is one of my favorite fantasy books. The world feels so fleshed out and the character’s so 3-dimensional. However, I’ve only finished the first three books in this trilogy. I also own all three books so I don’t exactly have any other excuse for not finishing it yet other than laziness. Do I have the energy to scan my eyes over a page? Apparently not. 
     
     The Mirror King
     I own this book since two Christmases ago. I enjoyed its predecessor. So why haven’t I read it? I think it’s too long, yet I have read books with hundreds of more pages than this one since I got it. I am a confusing creature. Part of it might be I find it much more exciting to start a brand-new series than finish an old one I have been working on. However, I don’t think anything can really beat the feeling of finishing a long-running book series for the first time. Which brings me to the next book on this list.
     
Viva Jacquelina
     This is number ten of a dozen books.  I faithfully read one Jacky Faber book a month since I started my senior year of high school. However, I broke the cycle when I started my first college semester. The problem is I still have a special place in my heart for Jacky Faber. I need to know if she will get what she’s been wishing for this entire time. I need to know how her story ends, and the last three books, including Viva Jacquelina, are relatively shorter when compared to the earlier ones. Also, they are all at my library so it's not like I don't have any access to them. 

     
       Witch and Wizard
     Because my book club is part of campus activities, we don’t exactly have meetings during summer vacation. However, we always vote on a book to work on during the summer so we have something to discuss when classes start up again. This year we decided on Witch and Wizard. My goal for finishing this book is much closer than the end of the year. I want to have this one done by the end of the summer. Otherwise, I will go to our first meeting in September and I will have to admit to not finishing the book, and I don’t think my pride will be able to handle that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post